Saturday, March 7, 2009

day 13

why don't I eat splenda?

since my herbalist said that she'd rather see me "using hard drugs than eating splenda!", I've become a bit splenda-phobic. not that I think I'm going to accidentally ingest any, or that someone is going to hold a gun to my head and make me eat splenda granular with a spoon, but I can't help but feel a bit worried about how widespread it is, and how overwhelmingly sweet and splenda-ful so many of the products taste.

I know that tons of people use it to zero ill effect (and I almost wish I were one of those people), and that's great! I for one started getting weird side effects when I used to eat it daily. my lips, hands and feet started getting numb. I'd get weird tickly feelings in my face. I had anxiety attacks. all of this stuff went away when I stopped eating splenda. I'd started eating it again on this go of atkins out of sheer laziness, which is to say I was using atkins bars as snacks here and there. sure enough, I started getting weird tingles if I ate them too often. sometimes, I just don't learn.

so where am I going with this? nowhere. hahaha! I'm using xylitol, erythritol, and stevia as sweetners these days, to no ill effect, and finding that things sweetened this way are much better tasting (ie. no chemical taste). I'm sure it's a matter of time before someone finds serious fault with these natural alternatives, but until they do and I start getting numbness, tingling, etc from them, I'm pretty sure they're ok by me. :)

anyway...rant over.

breakfast:
oopsie french toast
xylitol syrup
butter
coconut oil
bacon

snack (ish)
decaf american
cream
xylitol & stevia

lunch:
1/4 chicken breast (seriously, what's the point! ha!)
hideous green chorizo
sour cream
salad
cheesecake

dinner:
zucchini "noodles"
marinara sauce
turkey
cheese

No comments: